“A doctoral student can now obtain a residence permit valid for two years at a time provided that all conditions, such as supply, are met. This is not only a first application for a residence permit, but also means that a doctoral student who applies for extension have the opportunity to apply for and receive a two-year residence permit for studies.The revised practice also applies to co-applicants to PhD.”

The news, in Swedish unfortunately, are presented here